Saturday 23 January 2016

The McKenna Legacy: A Drifter Story | 001.3 Celebrating


A few hours had passed since Zuri fell asleep in the car. A soft voice was calling her. "Zuri...Zuri... Wake up!"
As she opened her eyes she saw Alton smiling at her and muttering something she still couldn't understand. "Wake up! We're here!" Rubbing her face she answered."Where is here?" Alton laughed and then he said. "Look outside sleepyhead! We're in Windenburg, at the Von Haunt Estate."


Her eyes tried to focus the big old mansion she had in front of her. Her eyes widened. "Why did you bring me here Alton?"
"I said we were going to celebrate didn't I? So here we are. The most awesome party in the most awesome place." he replied.
"Oh I heard about these parties. My friend Paolo lives here in Windenburg and he keeps telling me I've never seen a real party until I see a party at the Von Haunt!" Zuri said. "But how did you manage to get us in Alton?" she asked.
"Johnny owed me a favor so I cashed it in and got us tickets! I'm just a bit sad Cynthia couldn't come. She was too tired from today's busy market." He explained.
Zuri got out of the truck and looked up. WOW. This looks even bigger from this angle! she thought.
Alton called her as he was getting his jacket out of the truck and closed the doors. "C'mon Zuri. Let's get the party started!"


The party was on the south side of the Estate. The DJ was already pumping up the crowd and the music was rocking. "Hey Zuri let's dance!" Alton yelled, trying to make himself heard over the loud beats. "Sure! Thank you so much for bringing me here Alton. You are the best!" Zuri said as she grabbed him by the hand and ran to the dance floor.

***

The party kept going well into the night. Zuri was having so much fun that she almost forgot she had to work the next morning.
She met a lot of people there and she danced her feet off. But it was time to go home. It was late and they still had a big drive to Oasis Springs. She was feeling sorry for Alton, because he would have to do all that drive late into the night.


"Alton we should go home. It's getting late and we both have to work tomorrow morning." She said as Alton was steering towards the bar. "I worry the drive home is going to be hard on you, and Cynthia must be worried too."
Alton faced her and said "OK we will go now, but don't worry about me. Tomorrow is my day off so I have all day to rest these old bones!" He laughed and then he continued. "Also no need to worry about Cynthia. This was her idea actually. She said it would be good for you to go out and meet people. She wants you to be young and have a little fun, even if you have to bring this old chum along."
"Oh Alton I'm so glad I met you and Cynthia! You truly are the best friends a girl can ask for!" and reaching towards him she gave him a tight hug.

1 comment: